The Groholskis is the Polish gentry family of the arms “Sirokoml” that got the title of a cout in the second half of the XVth century in Hungary. All heirs of the Groholskis used that title in Rich Pospolita.
The Groholskis appeared in Bratslavshchina because of the marriage of Mikhal Groholskiy and Anna Radziminska (1730) who owned the village of Piatnichani near Vinnitsa.
Soon the Piatnichanskiy estate, Strizhava and Voronovitsa became a symbol of power of Podolian branch of the Groholskis. In every estate there were built palaces.
The palace complex in Piatnichani is one of the districts of Vinnitsa. It was built in the 70’s of the XVIIIth century and it was a composition of symmetrical buildings. A three-story building was in the center. Everything looked very ceremonial because of the lodge with columns that continued further and reminded a half of a horse-shoe. Many famous people visited the palace at those times.
In 1781 king Stanislav-Avgust was there, in some years the palace was visited by the Queen of Sicily, the Russian emperor Mikola I was there next century.
Much interesting is connected with another palace of the Groholskis. That is Voronovitskiy palace. It was built in 60’s of XVIIIth century and was influenced by French fashion. The palace is situated between the open ceremonial yard and a park-garden. The walls are decorated with so-called bukranion ornament. It could seldom be seen in Podillia. The first Christian temples in Ancient Rome, the crypts and chapels of Renaissance were decorated in such way. Many legends are related to that palace. They say about caves and underground passages under Voronivtsi and treasures that are hidden there.
The third great palace the family built in Strizhavtsi. It is a picturesque village on the bank of the South Bug. It was planned like a fortification. The palace was situated in a beautiful park. Not far there was a road to a bridge across the river. It was a complex of three buildings. The central part was with columns and a portico and there were two-story symmetrical wings. The palace had a wonderful library, a collection of paintings and sculptures. Nowadays there are no even ruins of the palace.