Das Schloss von Skala-Podilska
The castle in Skala-Podilska, a small town above Zbruch, was reconstructed in the beginning of XVIth century from a defensive complex, which was built by the princes Koriatoviches.
They used strengthenings of the earlier period, which were improved according to the requirements of fortification science of that time. The last of the Koriatoviches – Fedir Podilskiy - in 1395 was expelled from his territory by the prince Vitovt, and the castle in Skala became state. In 1516 the Polish king Sigizmund Stariy (at that time the Podolian grounds belonged to Poland) passed the town and the fortress to the Head of Kamenets Stanislav Lantskoronskiy on eternal possession.
The next year Skala has gone through terrible devastation and was almost completely burned. The repair realized with the help and at the expense of the local inhabitants, which were exempted in this occasion from payment of the tax. The new castle was stone, it had one powder tower and walls, which converged under acute angle. But in 1538 it was destroyed by the Valash army. However, the castle was reconstructed again. At the beginning of the XVIIth century Skala could sustain the siege of Turkish army, which defeated before that the Polish army on Cecora. And though the fortress was very damaged, it was not possible to capture it.
In the second half of the XVIIth century the castle in Skala became the property of the Semigrad prince Dierd II Rakotsi. However it wasn’t the best time in the history of a fortress Skala-Podilska. The lustration of 1665 informs, that “the castle constructed on a rock and led round by walls, came to complete decline”.
Turks, which grasped Podillia after the Buchach peace of 1672, got only the ruins of the powerful fortress.
Later the castle wasn’t reconstructed. To tell the truth, in the XVIIIth century the Head Adam Tarlo tried to rebuilt the castle, which divided the castle’s yard into two parts. It was possible to him, however in some years “the castle burned down from the fire of a lightning and stands empty now” (record of the 1765). Till today a little changed in the destiny of the castle in Skala, only destructive processes become even more obvious.