Mikhal Chatskiy Palace
In the center of the village Serebrinets, the district of Mogiliv-Podilskiy, Vinnitsa region, near the pond and the remain of the park a light building with the column portico is erected. It is a wonderful memorial to architecture of classicism.
It is a former palace of Mikhal Chatskiy, a participator of the rising of T. Kostiushko, a publicist and the brother of a famous Polish educator Tadeush Chatskiy. After 1793 the estate and the palace were taken from Chatskis and given to field marshal P. Rumiantsev.
In 1796, when the emperor Pavel came to power, everything was returned to the real owner. The palace looks larger than it really is. The building seems to be lifted over the ground Ė that is the effect of classical proportions. The palace was built in 1770-1780 in the best traditions of classicism. The building is made of bricks and the columns and other details are of sandstone.
In that building in Serebriantsi the ideas of a famous Italian architect Andrew Palladio are reflected. Those ideas were as a guidance while building the gentry harmonies in Podillia.
The planning of the palace is subordinated to the suite of two rows that has five main rooms faced the park facade and a hall in the center. Much remains from the former decoration. Separate pictures are never repeated. The parquet is didnít change. The Marble Hall gives the greatest impression. Nearly everything exist for 200 years (except the beautiful fire-place).
Extremely nice is the embossed cornice with griffins. In front from the east facade there is a yard with stony buildings. The remains of the park can also be seen. The park was planned by D. Makler who worked at the Chatskis for a long time. He began with the botanical gardens in Kremenets.